Establishing Your Home in Concord

Survival Guide – Establishing Your Home in Concord

Finding a Home

First things first: The Housing section on our website will help you with that all-important step of finding a place to live. It inclues guidelines on how to find the right apartment as well as an online housing marketplace, an exclusive list of rentals made available to students who have been admitted to UNH Law or who are current law school students

New Hampshire Residency

You may or may not want to establish New Hampshire residency. An out-of-state license plus a University of New Hampshire School of Law student I.D. is usually equivalent to a NH license for identification purposes (e.g., to cash checks).

You are required to obtain a NH car registration within 60 days of becoming a resident of the state. If you will be living in Concord, this page on the city of Concord website should tell you all you need to know.

If the vehicle is owned by you, submit the title, along with proof of residency, to the town or city office where you reside. If the vehicle is leased, there is a lien holder or the vehicle is title exempt, submit the following to the town or city office where you reside:

The out-of-state registration
Lease agreement, if applicable
Lienholder's name and address
Proof of residency

You will need a title or certificate of origin with you when you go to the city/town clerk, who will fill out a registration application and collect the city/town fee. There is also an annual auto inspection in your birth month. Each inspection can be performed at an authorized local service station.

Please visit the New Hampshire Department of Motor Vehicles for more information, including information for International Students who wish to get a driver's license:

Snail Mail and Packages

Post Office: 12 Loudon Rd., (603) 225-0004

UPS Store: 75 S. Main Street, Unit 7, (603) 226-2848


Loudon Road Laundromat: 228 Loudon Rd., (603) 228-9274

South End Village Laundromat: 71 Downing St., (603) 228-8768

Suds Appeal Laundromat: 47 Washington St., (603) 226-9324 (2 blocks from school)

Hardware Stores

Aubuchon Hardware: 80 S. Main St., (603) 228-5500

Home Depot: 42 D'Amante Dr., (603) 227-0580

Lowe's: 90 Fort Eddy Rd., (603) 573-4101

Rocky's Ace Hardware: (next to the post office) 20 Loudon Rd., (603) 229-1380

Child Care

The list of licensed facilities and private homes for child care services in the Concord area is extensive. Because of this we encourage you/your spouse to come to Concord at your earliest convenience to visit each facility you are considering. Many centers have waiting lists, so it's best to call to check availability early. The list below includes a few of the childcare centers in the area where University of New Hampshire School of Law students have placed their children.

Children's Learning Center, St. Paul's School: 325 Pleasant Street, (603) 229-4600
School-year session and two summer sessions.

Concord Recreation Department: White Park, (603) 225-8690
Summer camps and day camps for winter and spring break.

Concord Family YMCA: (603) 228-9622
Day care, summer camps and an after school program that picks up children from local schools

East Side Learning Center: 164 East Side Drive, (603) 224-2717

First Start Children's Center: 17 Knight Street, (603) 228-1341, ext. 7

Woodside School: 114 South Fruit Street, 224-8418

Registering Children for School

For students new to Concord, immunization records and the address of the previous school are necessary. A birth certificate or copy of a birth certificate is needed for students starting in kindergarten. Forms for the immunization record are available at the school. Call the Superintendent of School's Office at 225-0811 to find out which school is appropriate for your neighborhood and child's grade. If you do not have the child's previous school records, the school will send for them.

The Concord School District website lists all Concord public schools and links to the school's web pages.